Selected photos of Ghana CURE:
* The Ghana government increased spending on food for prisoners from GH¢ 0.60 to GH¢ 1.80 per day. This initiative has been approved in parliament and announced by the Minister of Interior, as a part of efforts made by the Ghanaian Government to improve inmates living condition on daily nutrition.
* The first phase of the Ankaful Maximum Security Prison with intake capacity of 2,000 is completed and ready for commissioning.
* The Supreme Court of Ghana entitled the Ghanaian prisoners to exercise their right to vote the coming general election while in detention. President John Evans Atta Mills assured that the government will take appropriate measures to implement this decision and provide the necessary resources to the Electoral Commission to ensure that prisoners could vote during presidential and parliamentary elections in December 2012.
* A total of 123 people, including three women were on death row and awaiting execution in Ghana as at December 31,2011 – 17 people were sentenced to death by hanging for murder, but “no execution were carried out”.
* In an address at an award ceremony in Accra, the Board chairman of Planet Three Peace Programme (P3PP), Professor Dominic Koffi Agyemang indicated that prisons visits will be implemented in the coming year to establish peace club to promote the culture of peace through education, rehabilitation and empowerment.
*The Planet Three Peace Programme (P3PP) has presented tow awards, Ghana Prison Service and Zoom Lion Ghana limited to mark the international Peace Day, on November 4th 2011.